This course is for people who wish to pursue careers in business/office administration.
It offers participants the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and competencies required to carry out the administration tasks found in a diverse range of office settings. They will learn how to operating a range of office equipment, organise and file records including electronic case management systems, accurately carry out audio transcription and copy typing, producing documents and letters, deal with enquiries, meet and greet clients, organise diaries and appointments, handle petty cash and record payments, organise the post, maintain manual and computerised bookkeeping records, and set up and maintain manual and computerise payroll systems.
The learning outcomes are firmly focused on enabling participants to gain employment as office administrators or to progress to year 2 of the Higher Certificate in Business Information Management at the Institute of Technology Tralee.
- Induction – The planned outcomes and conditions attached to attendance on the course; good safety, health and hygiene practices; the basic principles involved in environmental issues; and the meaning of equal opportunities.
- Audio Transcription – Perform audio transcription tasks to 40 wpm e.g. operate an audio transcription unit, understand the conventions of written language and numeracy, apply appropriate layout and presentation, and produce documents to a mailable standard.
- Bookkeeping Manual and Computerised – Produce and maintain accurate bookkeeping records for a range of organisations using manual and computerised systems.
- Payroll Manual and Computerised – Operate and maintain accurate payroll records for an organisation using manual and computerised systems.
- Information and Administration – Understand the various systems and methods used for processing information within organisations and use these effectively under supervision in a range of organisations.
- Business Management (Level 6) – Develop knowledge, skills and competence in the administration requirements of a range of organisations and operate effectively under supervision in a variety of administration contexts.
- Customer Service – Understand the value of the customer service discipline and provide effective customer service within a work, social or voluntary environment, while operating independently or as part of a team.
- Database Methods – Develop an understanding of databases and use database software tools and techniques to create and modify a range of databases.
- Spreadsheet Methods (MS Excel Level 6) – Develop an understanding of spreadsheets and create and modify spreadsheets using common spreadsheet features.
- Word Processing (MS Word Level 6) – Develop an understanding of word processing software tools and use a word processing application to produce documents in a variety of contexts to a mailable and publishable standard.
- Work Practice – Participate in a suitable work placement under supervision for a limited time.
This is a full-time course of 47 weeks duration which includes 2 weeks holidays plus Christmas break. It includes 8 weeks work practice in a company.
A number of training methods are used to deliver the course. These include instructions, presentations, demonstrations, supervised practice, practical work training, discussion groups, role plays, and giving and receiving feedback. Participants are required to actively participate in the learning process and engage in course work outside of course hours. They must complete a number of written and typed exercises and assignments throughout the course and keep up-to-date records of their progress. A number of methods are used to assess the participants’ progress and for certification purposes. These include assignments, theory exams, practical exams, project work, portfolios, learner records and skills demonstrations.
- Have a genuine interest in pursuing a career in office administration.
- Reached the statutory school leaving age.
- QQI Level 4 Major Award or equivalent.
- Good numerical and communication skills.
- Good verbal and written command of English.
- Good organisational skills.
- Good Customer service skills.
Participants who successfully complete this course will seek positions in office administration in a range of public and private sector businesses.