The Reception and Call Centre Operations programme is to enable the learner to acquire the knowledge, skill and competence to work independently and under supervision providing administration services and support in a front-end customer service or call centre environment or to progress to higher education and training.
This programme is delivered at Kerry College of Further Education, Clash Road Campus, Tralee.
Kerry ETB Training Centre is co-funded by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF Programme for Employability Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.
- Induction – The planned outcomes and conditions attached to attendance on the course; good safety, health and hygiene practices; the basic principles involved in environmental issues; and the meaning of equal opportunities.
- Information and Administration – Understand the various systems and methods used for processing information within organisations and use these effectively under supervision in a range of organisations.
- Text Production – Perform audio transcription tasks to 35 wpm e.g. operate an audio transcription unit, understand the conventions of written language and numeracy, apply appropriate layout and presentation, and produce documents to a mailable standard.
- Word Processing (MS Word Level 6) – Develop an understanding of word processing software tools and use a word processing application to produce documents in a variety of contexts to a mailable and publishable standard.
- Customer Service – Understand the value of the customer service discipline and provide effective customer service within a work, social or voluntary environment, while operating independently or as part of a team.
- Work Experience (5N1356) – Participate in a suitable work placement under supervision for a limited time.
- Audio Typing – Perform audio transcription tasks, using a range of input devices, to produce mailable standard documents.
- Spreadsheet Methods (MS Excel Level 6) – Develop an understanding of spreadsheets and create and modify spreadsheets using common spreadsheet features.
- Contact Centre Operations – Demonstrate a broad range of knowledge, understanding and skills in the role of customer contact relations and the function of customer contact centres across a range of contact centre contexts.
A combination of training methods is used to deliver this course. These include instructions, presentations, demonstrations, supervised practice, practical work training, simulated work environment practice, role plays, and giving and receiving feedback. Participants are required to actively participate in the learning process and engage in course work outside of normal course hours. They must complete a number of written exercises and assignments throughout the course and keep up-to-date records of their progress. A number of methods are used to assess the participants’ progress and for certification purposes. These include assignments, theory exams, practical exams, project work, portfolios, learner records and skills demonstrations.
- Have a genuine interest in pursuing a career in contact centre operations.
- Reached the statutory school leaving age.
- QQI Level 4 Major Award or equivalent.
- Good numerical and communication skills.
- Good verbal and written command of English.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Good Customer service skills.
For more than 20 years Ireland has been at the forefront of delivering Customer Service Excellence in BPO (i.e. Business Process Outsourcing) and Customer Contact Outsourcing in Ireland Europe, EMEA and the world. As early as 1998, Ireland was called the ‘call centre capital of Europe’ already seen as a country developing a niche ability, resource and technology in the delivery of a best in class customer contact experience. Brands like Google, Salesforce, Facebook, LinkedIn, Dell, HP, Microsoft, Hub spot, Twitter, Airbnb, Citibank, Paypal to name a small few. Today, over 30,000 people work in the industry, with a huge majority of global brands choosing to locate their Customer experience and service teams in Ireland. (Source: Crios Group)