Do you have a positive attitude, outgoing personality and strong sense of customer service together with a broad interest in Irish tourism? If so, this may be the course for you. The course offers participants the opportunity to develop the professional, technical, social and administrative skills needed to deliver a high quality tour guiding service for tourists visiting designated regions in Ireland.
Tour guides plan and implement tour itineraries and escort groups in many contexts throughout Ireland. Guides require the ability to retain facts, figures and folklore and present the information to tourists in an entertaining and interesting way. Tour guiding is particularly suited to people who are outgoing and who enjoy interacting with others. Communicating, planning and organising are important skills to possess and fluency in a second language is a distinct advantage.
On successful completion of the course you will be able to:
• Understand the structures and profiles of the tourism and hospitality sectors.
• Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of Irish cultural and heritage.
• Employ a range of communication, information and customer care skills.
• Utilise digital media skills to enhance the tour experience, promote potential products and services, and exploit employment opportunities.
• Manage and conduct tours on behalf of a tour operator/provider or as a self-employed guide.
• Implement best safety and environmental practices.
• Implement tour management skills and techniques.
This is a full-time course of 16 weeks duration. It includes 4 full weeks of work placement in a company. A number of training methods are used to enable the participants perfect the standard of knowledge and skills required of tour guides. These include instructions, presentations, demonstrations, one-to-one tuition, supervised practice, practical work training, discussion groups and role plays. Participants are required to actively participate in the learning process. They must complete a number of practical and written assignments throughout the course. A number of methods are used to assess the participants’ progress and for certification purposes. These include assignments, theory exams, practical assessments, skills demonstrations and a portfolio of work.
- Reached the statutory school leaving age.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent qualification and/or relevant life and work experience.
- Good communication skills including good verbal and written English language skills.
- Good numeracy skills.
- Self-motivated, eager to learn, outgoing and friendly.
- Able to integrate and relate to a variety of individuals and groups.
- Fluency in a second language is desirable.
- Some relevant experience in the tourist industry is desirable.
- A full class B driving licence is desirable.
- Basic computer skills are an integral part of completing this course.
Participants who successfully complete this course will seek positions as tour guides employed directly or on a freelance basis with tour operators and tour guide companies.